Compare Pet Travel Insurance
Through our partner you can access up to 15 UK pet insurance providers. Fill in one form and let Quotezone do the rest.Apply Now
As seen in:
If you are planning on taking your pet abroad to Europe or anywhere overseas, you can apply for pet travel insurance to give you important financial protection.
You can never be sure how your pet will react during transport, going overseas or if something flares up on a holiday abroad. In case your dog or cat requires vet treatment or procedures, you will be able to claim back any related fees incurred abroad which could be very expensive.
Use our comparison table provided to find the best insurance for taking your pet on holiday – and you can choose how long you would like to be covered for and get the best quote possible.
- Search up to 15 UK providers for free.
- Immediate results with no obligation.
- Get cover for vet treatment fees whilst abroad, theft/loss and holiday cancellation.
- Exclusions may include old pets (typically 8 years old for cats and dogs), certain holiday destinations and existing medical conditions.
How to Find the Best Pet Travel Insurance Policy
You should carefully consider the following points when you compare pet travel insurance:
- Is my pet already covered on an existing pet insurance policy? (some lifetime pet insurance policies already provide this kind of cover as standard).
- How often do I intend to take your pet abroad with me? Do you need a single-trip or multi-trip policy?
- What exactly do I need cover for? Is it for basic vet treatment, accidental cover or your pet getting lost or stolen? This will impact the price of your cover.
You can find great deals on pet travel insurance when comparing through Forces Compare. We can help you search through up to 15 different providers and will give you free, no obligation quotes. Our online form can take only 5 minutes to complete, after which you’ll receive instant results.
What Travel Insurance for Pets Is Available?
If you decide to purchase travel insurance for pets, it is possible that an insurer can provide cover for a number of different costs:
- Vet treatment fees: if your animal becomes unwell or is injured whilst abroad.
- Theft or loss: if your pet runs away or is stolen while you are overseas.
- Holiday cancellation: in the event that you need to cancel your holiday entirely or cut your trip shorter as a result of your pet dying or requiring urgent medical treatment.
Pet Travel Insurance FAQs
Are there any exclusions to pet travel insurance policies?
Yes, some insurers can include exclusions for the following:
- Age of your pet (over 8 years of age for cats and dogs).
- Certain holiday destinations.
- Holidays over a certain length.
- Existing medical conditions.
Can I get pet travel insurance for a pedigree pet?
Yes, it is possible but it may be more expensive given that pedigree pets tend to be more prone to getting more hereditary illnesses than crossbreeds.
Should I get a single-trip or multi-trip pet travel insurance policy?
It is generally recommend to get multi-trip cover if you intend to take your pet abroad with you at least twice in one year. Single-trip policies only cover one trip up to a certain period of time (usually up to 30 days).
Can I get pet travel insurance for an older pet?
Not necessarily, many insurers will not insure older pets (typically over the age of eight for dogs and cats) due to the level of risk they impose.
Can I get pet travel insurance if my pet has an existing medical condition?
Not always. Many insurers will not usually insure animals with existing medical conditions, or it may be more expensive if they do.
Can I cover a number of pets under one pet travel insurance policy?
Yes, there are a variety of insurers who will allow you to cover several pets under one insurance policy – this is known as multi-pet insurance.
Do I need to get a pet passport?
Yes, if the animal that you want to take abroad with you is a dog, cat or ferret, you will need to apply for a pet passport.
Is it possible to take my pet to any destination?
No, some insurers may restrict you from visiting certain countries due to potential risks. Always check with the insurers that you are interested in if they have a list of excluded destinations in their policy.
If my pet is lost or stolen, can I get cover for advertising or reward costs?
Yes, many insurers will allow you to recover the cost of advertising or reward costs for a lost or stolen pet.