Housing Disrepair Compensation Claims

If you are renting a property and the landlord has refused to make repairs or not maintain certain quality standards, you can claim for housing disrepairs and receive a handsome settlement. Forces Compare through its partners at Clear Law are here to help. Start your claim below for a free assessment today.

Start claim >>

Click here to complete an enquiry on Clear Law LLP’s housing website.

  • Average Compensation: £1,395*
  • Free claim assessment 
  • Covers Damp, Mould, Leaks, Cracking, Subsidence

Are You Eligible for a Housing Disrepair Claim?


As a tenant living within a council house or housing association property you have are entitled to live in safe and properly maintained surroundings. If you have already reported any of the common types of disrepair conditions below to your landlord and they have failed to carry out repairs, we can make them complete the repairs and also claim compensation.


The landlord’s obligations are set out under several pieces of legislations, namely, the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985, which applies to tenancies entered into after 1961. In summary, section 11 ensures the landlord will:

Structural and Exterior Repairs

Keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes

The Instillations In The Dwelling

Keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation

The space heating and heating water

Keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water

Refusing to fix repairs for the property

If your landlord refuses to fix the property, you can force them to do the works and claim compensation.

Start claim >>

Click here to complete an enquiry on Clear Law LLP’s housing website.

What Does Housing Disrepair Claims Include?

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on the severity of the disrepair, how long the disrepair has been present and the effect on you as an individual.

  • Damage to belongings – you can include the value of this damage in your claim for compensation. Examples of this can include mould-affected clothing and bedding, carpets ruined by a leak or electrical appliances damaged by electrical problems. Compensation for damage to belongings will only cover the cost to you of repairing or replacing the damaged goods. This would mean that you may get less than the cost of the item new, as you would be expected to buy second hand items to replace them. You would need evidence such as photographs, and receipts to show you have had to purchase a replacement or repair the item or items.


  • Personal injury – you can claim for any ill health that the disrepair has caused yourself or anyone who is living within the property. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of your illness and how long it has lasted. You will also be able to recover any financial losses you have incurred as a result of your illness such as lost earnings.


  • Any inconvenience that you have been caused by the disrepair that can either be a miscellaneous cash sum or a partial rebate of your rent for the affected property during the period of disrepair. For example, if you are unable to sleep in your bedroom due to severe mould and damp, you can claim for the effect this had on your ability to use your home.

We are highly experienced in helping people who have suffered because of failures on the part of their landlord, especially against local councils and housing associations.

We understand that making a claim against your landlord may appear daunting at first, but we are here to make sure the process remains as straightforward and stress-free as possible. We will guide you through the entire process, providing the assistance you require every step of the way.

We assess all housing disrepair claims free of charge. We determine how successful a claim could be without you spending a penny! If we believe you have a good case we will act for you on a no win no fee basis. This amount will never exceed 25% of your total compensation. However, the main things is that we will ensure all repairs are carried out by your landlord and we do not deduct anything from the cost of repairs

Start claim >>

Click here to complete an enquiry on Clear Law LLP’s housing website.

* Data from settled cases between January 2021 and April 2021

Forces Compare has partnered with Clear Law LLP to offer its clients the opportunity to get help with the disrepair in their property.

Clear Law LLP is a Solicitors Firm and is Registered in England & Wales under company number: 0C308339.

Clear Law LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under SRA number 403088